World Cup guard dies after ‘fall’ while on duty at Lusail Stadium



CNN

A Kenyan security guard who reportedly fell while on duty at Qatar’s Lusail Stadium has died in hospital, his family and officials confirmed to CNN.

His employer informed the migrant worker’s family on Saturday that 24-year-old John Njue Kibue fell on duty from the eighth floor of the stadium, his sister Ann Wanjiru said.

“We don’t have the money to do justice to him, but we want to know what happened,” she told CNN.

A medical certificate obtained by CNN shows he was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at Hamad General Hospital in Doha. The document states that Njue had a “serious head injury, facial fractures and broken pelvis”.

In a statement, organizers of the World Cup – the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy – announced Kibue’s death.

“We regret to inform you that despite the best efforts of his medical team, he unfortunately passed away in hospital on Tuesday 13 December after spending three days in intensive care,” the statement added.

“His next of kin have been informed. We extend our sincere condolences to his family, colleagues and friends at this difficult time.”

John Njua Kibue at Lusail Stadium.

Earlier this week, the committee announced that Kibue suffered a bad fall while on duty.

“Qatar’s tournament organizers are urgently investigating the circumstances that led to the fall and will provide further information pending the completion of the investigation,” the statement said.

“We will also ensure that his family receives all outstanding fees and monies owed.”

He had been unconscious since Saturday and hooked up to a machine to help him breathe, his medical records show. A family member was notified of his death on Monday morning.

But the security guard’s family say his Qatari employer, Al Sraiya Security Services, did not explain how he fell or the circumstances of his death.

“We want justice. We want to know what caused his death. They never sent us a picture to show where it fell from or gave us any other information,” his sister Wanjiru told CNN.

CNN has reached out to Al Sraiya Security Services for comment following the guard’s death and has yet to receive a response.

In a statement to CNN, the Kenyan embassy in Qatar said it is aware of the matter and is “doing the necessary consular assistance while awaiting official communication from the Supreme Committee of Qatar and relevant authorities.”

The security guard’s family say he moved to Qatar last November for a contract with Al Sraiya Security Services.

A WhatsApp message seen by CNN was sent to his colleagues at other World Cup stadiums asking for donations.

“He came here to support his family at home, but through bad luck his dreams ended today,” it says in part. “Let’s do something for our beloved comrade.”

He is the second migrant worker to be reported dead in the Gulf nation since the tournament began, after another was reportedly killed in an accident at a resort used by Saudi Arabia during the group stage.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *