That’s what Offworld Industries announced Starship Troopers: Annihilation, a 12-player team-based cooperative first-person shooter inspired by the 1997 film. It will be released in Early Access for PC via Steam in 2023.
Here is an overview of the game via Offworld Industries:
Starship Troopers: Annihilation brings players to the far-off frontline in an all-out assault against the Arachnid menace. Squad as a trooper in the Deep Space Vanguard, an elite special forces unit within the Mobile Infantry. And get ready to stomp on some bugs, because no Trooper will ever stand alone as they line up shoulder-to-shoulder with their fellow Vanguards – trusty Morita assault rifles in hand – to take on hordes of bloodthirsty insectoid aliens the enemy surface of the planet to fight Walaka.
Work together to complete objectives, gather resources, build and defend your base of operations, and then escape together to the extraction point. Combat will be intense, but as hardened warriors who represent all of humanity and the United Citizen Federation, don’t leave the Arachnids an inch of ground safe!
Suit up and scoot, Troopers! After all, the only good bug is a dead bug!
- Cooperative gameplay – 12 players can team up in groups of four to defend their base, complete objectives, gather resources and try to kill every bug in sight.
- Three playable classes – Choose from attack, support, and defense classes that best suit your playstyle and support the rest of your squad.
- build defenses – Build walls, towers, ammo stations and more with resources obtained from planet-side refineries.
- class progression system – Unlock new weapons, gear and perks for each class to become an elite warfighter under the Deep Space Vanguard.
- Five unique bug types – Encounter drones, warriors, gunners, plasma grenadiers and enemy tiger elite bugs during planetside missions at the launch of Early Access.
- Escalating infestation – Increasing the bug threat level during missions brings bigger and more dangerous enemies into the fight.
- Large-scale battles – A huge map with five unique zones and swarm battles with hundreds of enemy bugs on the screen gives the feeling of overwhelming planetary warfare.
- ground war – Recapture bases and refineries, destroy hives and complete a variety of side objectives to wrest control of the map from the bug menace.
- ping system – Communication is the key! The “ping” system gives players a quick and easy way to call out interesting locations, objectives, incoming enemies, and more teammates.
Check out the teaser trailer for the announcement below. Check out the first screenshots in the gallery.