Jeremy Clarkson: UK lawmakers are asking the Sun newspaper to sanction columnists for ‘violent misogynistic’ language


London
CNN business

A group of British lawmakers are calling for action against columnist Jeremy Clarkson after he wrote a “violently misogynist” opinion piece about Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, in the Sun newspaper, which was later retracted.

“We welcome The Sun’s retraction of the article, we are now calling for action to be taken against Mr Clarkson and an unconditional apology will be served to Ms Markle without delay,” the report said Letter, which was chaired by Caroline Nokes, an MP from the ruling Conservative Party and chair of Parliament’s Women’s and Equality Committee.

Jeremy Clarkson tweeted that he was

“We also demand that definitive action be taken to ensure that no article like this is ever published again.”

The letter, posted on social media by Nokes and signed by 64 other lawmakers from various political parties, condemned the “violent misogynist” language being used against Meghan.

“This type of language has no place in our country and it is unacceptable that it should be allowed to be published in a mainstream newspaper,” it said.

“Ms Markle faced several credible threats to her life that required the intervention of the Metropolitan Police. Hate articles like Mr Clarkson’s do not exist in a vacuum and directly contribute to this unacceptable climate of hate and violence.”

Thousands of people have written to Britain’s press regulator, the Independent Press Standards Organization (IPSO), to complain about Rupert Murdoch’s column in the tabloid. As of Tuesday morning, IPSO had received more than 17,500 complaints, the largest number of complaints the regulator has received about a single item, a spokesman told CNN.

The Sun no longer reported readership figures for 2020, but the latest available data showed it had a circulation of 1.2 million as of March 2020, the trade magazine Press Gazette reported, citing figures from the official Audit Bureau of Circulations. This was the highest circulation of any British national newspaper at the time.

Clarkson, who is best known as the host of Amazon’s ‘The Grand Tour’ car show and a former presenter of the BBC show ‘Top Gear’, has also received significant backlash from other online commentators, and on Monday he tweeted his regret about the pillar.

“Oh dear. I rather put my foot in it. In a column I wrote about Meghan, I awkwardly referenced a scene in Game of Thrones, and that resonated with a lot of people,” Clarkson wrote. “Me I am appalled to have caused so much damage and will be more careful going forward.”

The Sun has since removed the article from its website.

“In light of Jeremy Clarkson’s tweet, he asked us to remove last week’s column,” the site reads.

The Sun declined to comment further when contacted by CNN. CNN has also reached out to Clarkson’s rep for comment.

Nokes responded to Clarkson’s tweet on her official Twitter account.

“I applaud Jeremy Clarkson’s admission that he violated #notanapology – but an editorial process allowed his column to print unchallenged,” she wrote.

Damian Tambini, associate professor of media governance at the London School of Economics, told CNN that Harry and Meghan “don’t really have a lot of leeway to go straight against the newspapers” because the UK media regulatory framework is “messed up”. and IPSO “is widely viewed as having been hijacked by the press.”

The UK Media Standards Code only addresses overt racism or negligent inaccuracy and not hate, incitement or misogyny, he added.

“The Code and IPSO lack credibility and are unlikely to take any real action,” Tambini said.

Clarkson’s column follows the release of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s Harry and Meghan documentary series on Netflix earlier this month, in which the couple opens up about their treatment by the British press.

Harry accused the media of unduly stressing his wife and linked the press coverage to a miscarriage she suffered in July 2020 after moving to California.

Meghan recalled being stressed out by Britain’s Mail on Sunday newspaper as she published a private letter she had written to her father Thomas Markle.

CNN contacted the Mail on Sunday and its publisher, Associated Newspapers Limited, for comment as the documentary aired on December 15.

The Sussexes broke all deals with four of the UK’s biggest tabloids in 2020 after years of strained relationships.

The newspapers – the Daily Mail, the Sun, the Mirror and the Express – were notified in a letter at the time.

In the letter, the couple said they believe a free press is “a cornerstone of any democracy,” but added that there is “a real human cost” to the way the tabloids do business.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *