We’ll show you the different ways you can share the screen on Chromebooks, including keyboard shortcuts and touchscreen mode
Updated December 20, 2022 8:23 p.m
We’ll show you How to share the screen on a Chromebook in several easy steps.
Multitasking is an important trait. The more efficiently you multitask, the faster you can get the job done. Split screen is part of this multitasking feature. If you’re a Chromebook user, you need to know how split screen works. If you know how to use split screen, you can multitask or switch from one screen to another. It is an important feature to know about and one that will be covered in detail.
How to share the screen on a Chromebook
There are several ways to use split screen on Chromebook and ChromeOS. Use the split screen methods below.
In touchpad mode
- Step 1: Hover the mouse pointer over the minimize/maximize button in the top right corner of the window.
- step 2: You will be given a split screen option.
- step 3: You can select either the screen on the left or the right side and open a new window and drag it to the opposite side.
With a keyboard shortcut
- Step 1: Open or start Chrome.
- step 2: Press the combination of ( ALT+ [ ) keys to snap the window in half and move it to the left side or press the combination of ( Alt + ] ) to bisect the window again and move it to the right side.
In touchscreen mode
- Step 1: Long click/press the minimize/maximize button in the top right corner of the window. An arrow appears on either side.
- step 2: Drag the arrow in the desired direction as you like, and the screen will be split in half. Whichever side you drag the window to, it will crop the window in 50% and move half the screen there.
- step 3: Do the same if you want to move the screen in the opposite direction.
How to share the screen on a Chromebook in tablet mode
Sharing the screen in tablet mode is easier than in clamshell and desktop modes.
- Step 1: Just swipe up on the screen and switch to overview mode. There you can put any of your favorite apps on a page. The apps must be opened beforehand if you want to run this mode.
- step 2: Once you gesture an app on one side, the other side is free. You can open another window or app on the other side. If the app you want to drag to the other side isn’t already open, you’ll have to restart the whole process by opening your favorite apps first.
Frequently asked questions about split screen on Chromebooks
Is there more than one method to share the screen on Chromebooks?
Yes, there is more than one method to share the screen on Chromebooks. You can share the screen on the Chromebook using a touchpad, keyboard, or mouse. You can also create a split screen on Chromebook in tablet mode.
Can you resize split screen on Chromebook?
Many of the laptops that offer Chromebook and ChromeOS have the ability to resize the split screens. You can hover or long press the minimize/maximize button in the top right corner of the window. There are three or four options for resizing the split screen. You can choose one of the available ones.
WePC is reader-supported. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more